September 22, 2020

 


The only drawback from going to bed early and getting a great night of sleep is waking up early.  Although I usually wake up early anyway I woke up considerably earlier today. In fact, with the change of the season, this being the first day of fall, it was still dark outside when I awoke refreshed.  Rather than trying to go back to sleep, which I knew would be futile, I hit the fitness center for a quick aerobic workout.  I was alone in the room which was a bit eerie.  I put my head down, got through the routine, and headed back to my room.  Then I saw it.

 

Apparently I had hit my leg the previous night causing a small laceration on my ankle.  I hadn’t even noticed it.  But I did notice the large amount of blood that had soaked through my sheets.  Plus, my left leg was a lighter shade of pink with the dried blood on it.  I worked out the entire time and never even noticed it.  Now I was happy I worked out alone.

 

I knew maid service would be arriving around nine so I hung out and completed my health app requirements.  When she did arrive, promptly at nine, I explained to her the reason for the blood in my bed.  She was more concerned with my laceration on my leg than the blood on the sheets.  The cut really wasn’t that bad. It’s just the older I get it seems the thinner my skin becomes.  And I didn’t even remember cutting my leg.

 

I left her to tend to her responsibilities while I got tested and went to the shipping department to get a package for Kelly that had been delivered after his departure.  After retrieving the goods on my way back I encountered the Lakers headed into one of the practice courts for their morning shoot around.  In my heart I yelled “Four straight fellas!” but nothing came out of my mouth.  I noticed Rajon Rondo wears a green headband to practice and during pre-game warmups.  I know he’d played for Boston but there is not any green in a Lakers uniform.  I don’t know why he wears the green headband.

 

Back in my room I decided to watch yet again a couple more episodes of Shameless with my door propped allowing more of the tropical breeze to fill the room.  I had started my day rather early so this luxury felt extremely well earned.  After the second episode concluded I took the long route to the dining area by strolling around the lagoon then eating a rather quick lunch.  After eating my meal I walked out on the bridge towards the restaurant.  What I saw next epitomizes the uniqueness of the bubble.

 

Exiting the café all at once was the majority of the Denver Nuggets team (Jokic, Murray, Porter Jr, Bol, Harris, and Milsap) followed by some of the Lakers stars (Davis, James, Rondo, Green, Howard, and Morris) They had all eaten at the same place and were pretty much leaving together. That would only occur in the bubble.  And Anthony Davis had his little boy upon his shoulders, the same little boy that I captured the previous game celebrating his father’s game winning shot and was broadcast nationally on the highlight shows.  I slowly walked past acknowledging them with a brief head nod and a smile.  They couldn’t see my smile. I wear my mask like a good soldier.

 

The anticipation of a great game was with all of us as we entered the arena to cover the contest.  We went through the usual routine of checking our equipment before breaking for dinner then returning for warmups. Some of our cameras, mine included, get swung over to the studio to provide needed coverage for the Emmy award winning “Inside the NBA” show.  I like the fact my camera is used for the show because I can listen and watch the show in my monitor while providing requested imagery when needed.  The show is very entertaining especially when the panel strays from basketball and journeys into other areas of interested.  The cast, Shaquille O’Neal, Ernie Johnson Jr, Kenny Smith, and Charles Barkley are always good for a laugh and they don’t have any problem sticking it to one another.  It is a very well done program with great graphics and content that moves along rather quickly while touching on the current situations within the NBA yet offers no apologies when the subject matter has nothing to do with the NBA.  The show is on for one hour and that hour goes by rather quickly for me.

I am not shy about hoping the Lakers run the table against Denver.  The sooner the series ends, the quicker I get released from the bubble and head home to Arizona.  The Nuggets didn’t care about my wishes. The bubble’s most resilient team rebounded from Sunday’s loss to the Los Angeles Lakers with an impressive 114-106 win foiling any notion that this series would end in a sweep.  Needless to say I walked away disappointed but not surprised.  The Lakers were lucky as hell to win on Sunday and this series could be two to one in favor of Denver had that buzzer beater by Anthony Davis not fallen.

Coach Malone of the Nuggets commented after this satisfying victory where Jamal Murray and Nikola Jokic played aggressively the entire game and were supported by Jerami Grant who scored twenty six and seemed to be everywhere and always at the right time. “Yeah, I had no doubt that we were going to show up tonight,” he said. “The reason I didn't have any doubt is because we won six straight elimination games. Everybody always has us packing our bags and leaving, but we're not ready to go. For some reason we love this bubble. I can't explain that, but this team loves the bubble.”

If that statement is actually true the pendulum swings in favor of the Nuggets.  Remember when we had the restart suspended about a month ago and the teams voted to stay or leave?  The only teams that voted in favor of leaving the bubble and calling it quits were the Lakers and the Clippers. And, if Denver really loves this bubble, please pass that secret on to me.  I’m not whining, really, I’m not.  But you know the bubble has worn me down and I am anxious to leave but conditions have improved as documented so regardless how long this series goes, it will be both exciting and enjoyable.

Comments

Popular Posts